Wednesday, July 8, 2009

History Lessons #2

Illegal Immigration. This is by far the one subject that has been hardest for me to find my political opinion footing on. On other issues I knew exactly where I stood and why. But, this one has been an ongoing search for me largely due to personal experience and interaction with the immigrant population here in the U.s. I have outlined before my current position on the subject defined in context of the principles of justice and mercy. I absolutely believe that the immigration laws must be enforced. Justice, the law, must be adhered to for a whole host of reasons, one of which is that when justice is not fully served mercy cannot be fully meted out by those to whom the responsibility lies, the people.

My stand on illegal immigration is also influenced by historical perspective. I believe there are two things that the Government could do that would guarantee a massive influx of illegal migration into the U.S. One of those things is to declare amnesty. We have already seen the result of this. President Reagan tried this tactic and the result was as I said a massive migration. This massive migration I think contributed to the lack of mercy that many Americans feel towards our neighbors to the south. It was a mistake and it ought not to be repeated.

The other thing I think that would bring about a massive influx of illegal immigration is the construction of a wall. I am well aware that this is where I disagree with a lot of Conservatives. But, I feel strongly that building a wall, or even the threat of building a wall is just not a good viable option for solving the problem of illegal immigration right now.

We have historical precedence for wall building. It's called East Germany and Berlin specifically. I know that the situations are different, but we still have some lessons we can learn. When people want a different, better life they will do whatever they can to get that. As control in East Germany became more iron fisted, the people left in droves. After the wall was built, people still crossed it, with one extra caveat, more people died.

I know that I have heard that those places where a barrier has been built illegal immigration has decreased in U.S. border towns. I'm sure that is true. But, what I would like to find is the data from the next town over. People are still coming.

Here is what I propose, a systematic immigration reformation. First step is to enforce the laws that are already on the books. We then need to give ourselves a time frame to examine if just the mere enforcement of the laws will do the trick. If not we make ONE, count them ONE, change. We then analyze the effectiveness of that change and move on to the next proposed change if needed and so on and so forth. One of the problems that Government seems to make over and over again is throwing a bunch of supposed solutions at a problem. If the problem gets solved, okay, but which solution did it? You have perhaps wasted a bunch of time and resources that were unneccesary. If the problem doesn't get solved you have definitely wasted time and resources.

I know that this sounds like it might be a long process. But, I think any problem worth solving is worth solving right. I do not completely rule out the building of a wall at some long future time if nothing else seems to work. But, for right now I'm pretty locked in my position that it is a bad idea.

These I think are important points, and would help to solidify the position of justice on the matter. I have said it before and will say it again here. If justice can be satisfied the hearts of the most compassionate citizens on the planet will again be open to helping our southward neighbor. The mercy of the people will go alot farther in helping Mexico become a better more livable place than any Government assistance. It is a beautiful country full of beautiful lovely people and deserves our compassion and warmth.

In the end, if handled properly the solution of the illegal immigration here in the U.S. could historically be a marker for others to look to and to follow.

No comments: