Sunday, April 18, 2010

Yet Another Charge



Racism, Violence, and now Sedition all charges leveled at the people who disagree with the current direction of the government. Sedition? Really? We have a divine right, which is protected by our Constitution, to speak out. We have a right to tell our government when we are opposed to their actions. It is "We the People" not 'we the government'. The government and especially the Constitution belongs to the people. We have a right, maybe even a duty to correct the government. Its not sedition its us exercising our rights.

These pundits claim that to pronounce that our government is acting in tyranny is seditious. Well, the definition of tyranny is absolute power (no napkin required its an easy definition). I and many others recognize that the rights of the people are being undermined by our own government who were sent to represent us. Understand that to take away the rights guaranteed by the Constitution is to grant the government more and more power. It is heading towards tyranny. If I have to find myself charged with a crime for saying so, well than I'll probably have good company. To level charges at us like racism, violence and sedition is an attempt to silence us from exercising our rights. It is an attempt to squelch the voices of dissent against a government. It will not work.

There were some other people who spoke about tyranny.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of men." Thomas Jefferson.

"Tyranny like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." Thomas Paine

"Of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people, commencing demagogues and ending tyrants." Alexander Hamilton

Like I said I'll be in good company. If that company includes the likes of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin well that doesn't sound so bad.

To those who are leveling those charges of sedition I say to you now: I will stand and defend YOUR right to speak. I will stand and defend YOUR right to gather. I will stand and defend YOUR right to vote and to encourage others to exercise their rights as well. In doing so I understand that you and I will disagree. But, it is your right. It is time you recognize that it is mine as well.

No comments: