Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Walk

Several years back I had the blessed opportunity to spend several months in Israel. I've written here before about some of my experiences. When I come upon a religious holiday I cannot help but to have some sweet memories come flooding back to me. At this Easter season I again draw inspiration and hope.

Last Sunday was Palm Sunday. I remember clearly gathering on the streets of Jerusalem, palm frond in hand, with a crowd of fellow Christians. We began a walk down into the Old City where we would join together in a worship service. It started raining buckets as we slipped along down the cobbled streets. But, nothing could dampen the joy of that occasion. How amazing it was to walk through the city as Jesus had done on many occasions. On Palm Sunday He rode into the city triumphant and welcomed, though soon so many would turn on Him. It was an honor to walk there that day.

One of my favorite places on the planet is the Garden of Gethsemane. I was able to spend time there sitting in the shade of an olive tree. There I pondered the magnificence of His Atonement. I marvel at the love, and mercy that He has shown to me and to all of us.

Tomorrow is Good Friday. I've had the blessing to walk down what is called The Via Dolorosa, the Way of Suffering. It was the path He walked as He carried the cross, symbolic of our weight that He took upon Himself. What a blessing it was to walk down that same path.

I've seen Golgotha, the place of the skull. I again marvel at the sacrifice He so willingly gave for you and for me.

I've walked in the Garden Tomb. It is quite possibly where he was laid. I rejoiced as I received the message, "He is not here, for He is risen." In that message is hope and life and joy forever.

It remains a blessing in my life to have those precious memories. But, although those have served as powerful reminders of my testimony, my real testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ has not come because I walked where He walked, its because He walks with me. Along my journey He has been there ever faithful, ever merciful and ever with open arms waiting to receive me. I love Him dearly and will thank Him eternally for all He has given. My greatest hope is that I can one day be in His sacred presence and be able to kneel at His feet and express my gratitude.

The only thing that I can imagine greater than being in the presence of My Savior, is being there with the people that I love. To all of you I wish a very Happy and Joyous Easter season. I've learned much of Christ, from the people I know. Thank you and God continue to bless.

Sarah Emily Jordan



I happened upon this excellent video, a rendition of Chris Rice's amazing song "Come to Jesus" sung by Kenneth Cope. It captures some of my feelings about the Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments: