Monday, January 26, 2009

So This Is What It Feels Like. . .

to be dissed by your own Senator. I recently e-mailed my two Washington Senators concerning a bill that would forbid exploration in ANWR for oil. This issue concerns me because of the U.S.’s increasing reliance on foreign sources for oil and other energy resources. To me drilling for oil in the U.S. is a matter of national security. But, that’s not really the issue I want to address here.

I wrote to my Senators to ask them to please consider not supporting such a bill that would handcuff our ability to provide domestic oil.

What I got back from Patty Murray was an email form letter thanking me for my correspondence and then proudly outlining her own position which is completely opposed to mine. What I basically got out of it was this, “I don’t really care what you think, this is what I’m going to do.” You can imagine the warm fuzzies that gave me.

A Senator is there to represent their constituents. I understand that my Conservative viewpoint is on the losing end. But, it sure makes me wonder, what the heck I’m supposed to do.

Conservatism does indeed feel like it is in exile. The point of view is alive and well with the citizenry, but I feel a little bit powerless.

Part of me says, “Well fine than I’m going to run for the Senate and just try to take you out!” But, I could never be a politician. I can’t stand meetings and congress seems like one big long meeting that takes forever to accomplish anything.

What then can I do? Right now I’ve got to stick true to my principles. I’ve got to be understanding and tolerant of others viewpoints while standing up for my own.
The most important thing is to try to better the lives of those around me in whatever way I can. I think the majority of us want to do things that help others.

Senator Murray believes what she believes. I can respect that even if I disagree. I’ll do what I can where I’m at.

We ought to be excellent to each other, even if it doesn’t feel like it is reciprocated. We need to keep letting our voices be heard.

I wrote to the Senator again today, on another subject. We’ll see if I can someday get something other than a form letter.

No comments: